History

The Church used by the congregation for worship is a List "B" building, constructed at an approximate cost of £5,000.00 and designed by Mr T.S. Robertson of Dundee.

1879 13th Nov. St. Margaret's Chapel of Ease opened.
FARMING
FISHING
STANDREW
STMARGARET
STNINIAN
STVIGEAN
TOURISM
WEAVING
 
1879 16th Nov. First Sunday worship on, coincidently, St. Margaret's Day.
1886 The Church status was raised to that of an independent Church and  Parish.
1903 June    
Small Hall opened.  Money for this was raised by the congregation.
1903 Dec.     Dedication Service on completion of the upper part of the Tower.
1906            The Baptismal Font was Dedicated, donated by the Sunday School.
1920            War Memorial to the Great War Dedicated in the sanctuary.
1956 April     Dedication Service for the new pulpit and the extension to the Chancel.
1965    New manse built.
1968/69   
Purchase of the cottage at 14 George Street, at the rear of the Church, to provide additional hall facilities.
1974    Dedication of central Stain Glass window on the Chancel.    Artist Mr Gordon Webster, Glasgow. The theme of the window is the risen, victorious Christ as in the vision of St John. 
1980            Dedication of four Stain Glass windows depicting St. Margaret, St. Andrew, St. Ninian and St. Vigean. Artist - Mr J. Blyth, Markinch, Fife.  The artist’s logo, a bumble bee is featured in one of the windows.
1987    Dedication of four Stain Glass windows depicting the main   traditional industries of the area - Weaving, Fishing, Farming and Tourism. Artist - Mr J. Blyth, Markinch. 
1990 June    
Formation of the new congregation of Arbroath West Kirk as a result of the union between St. Margaret's and Ladyloan St. Columba’s. 
1990 Aug.     The two outside Stain Glass windows on the Chancel were transferred from Ladyloan St. Columba’s.
1990 Oct.     Stain Glass windows in both Transepts were also transferred from Ladyloan St. Columba’s. 
1992 Aug.    Dedication of the new hall extension.  The Large Hall complex, designed to connect the Church to the cottage building in George Street, also included a new kitchen and toilet accommodation with facilities for the disabled and a new layout for the cottage.
1995    The Church received the inaugural Rod McFarlane Award for the improved access provided for the disabled.
1999/2000         Millennium projects – Time Capsule buried under the Chancel and exterior floodlighting installed (partly funded by the Church Floodlighting Trust).     
2003    Rewiring of the Sanctuary and installation of new lighting.
2004    Pipe Organ, built by Joseph Binns – major restoration work.
2007            Arbroath West Kirk online – official website first set up.
2010 ‘Arbroath West Kirk A Short History’ – an illustrated booklet published by William F Clark, Session Clerk
2011 ‘Year of the Light’ Parish Visitation
2013 Start of the ‘Together towards tomorrow’ Stewardship programme
2014

Website redesigned
Start of major stonework restoration project